Monday 4 April 2011

Installing a FreeBSD guest system on VirtualBox (binary version) on a Linux host

I think this solution is a good start for my blog, I also added some pics :-).

FreeBSD 8.2 was not so keen to install on VirtualBox 4.0.4  as it should, refusing to use the DVD iso I mounted and booted off from as installation medium.

Well turns out, the default settings VirtualBox provides for a FreeBSD install are no good. FreeBSD seems not to be happy with the CDROM drive being attached at an IDE adapter, so you need to switch to SATA:




Furthermore, FreeBSD doesn't seem to be happy with the EHCI USB controller of the binary VirtualBox, so you need to disable that if you want to use USB 2.0 devices in FreeBSD. They'll revert to slow USB 1.1, but at least you can access them.


And if you want to do FreeBSD development work like I do, using one or more copies of the FreeBSD source tree, you need to allocate a larger disk as well, the default 8GB will not be enough. I would suggest at least 30GB.

No comments:

Post a Comment